Sharm El Sheikh, Johannesburg, Nairobi, Lagos, Washington, Brussels, Beijing, Dubai – 8th November 2022: Africa investor (Ai), a leading international investment group, today announced that African Governments and business leaders, were honoured at the Africa investor (Ai) NDC Investment Awards, held on the 8th of November 2022 at COP27, during the Ai African NDC Investment Summit and Awards.
These first-of-their-kind NDC Investment Awards, sponsored by the African Green Infrastructure Investment Bank (AfGIIB), were designed to recognize achievements across the main NDC 10 project sectors and reward the governments, institutions, and individuals, driving transactions and improving the investment readiness and ambition, of Africa’s NDC projects requiring $3trn of investment by 2030.
The NDC Investment Awards, were launched at the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) in Kigali, in June 2022. Then at the African Heads of State and Government-Institutional Investor Climate Finance Dialogue, on the margins of the High-Level Segment of the 77th Session of the UN General Assembly in New York, Ai announced The 100 Best NDC Projects Shortlist.
The shortlist candidates comprised 100 projects, representing $32bn of NDC financing and investment opportunities, from 43 African countries and all 5 African sub regions.
To recognize exemplary Presidential leadership on Africa’s climate investment agenda, the Awards Secretariat also presented special recognition Honorary NDC Presidential Champions awards during the ceremony in Sharm El-Sheikh.
Commenting on the Ai NDC Investment Awards winners, Dr. Hubert Danso, Chairman of Africa investor Group and the Chair of the NDC Awards Adjudication panel said, “Africa investor is proud to use its global investment platform, to showcase and recognize Africa’s NDC project sponsors, developers, financiers, investors and Presidential Champions. This growing community of leaders are critical to the continent mobilising the required $3trn of green investment for our NDC’s by 2030, to pursue Africa’s NetZero aspirations. We congratulate all the shortlisted and winning candidates on their leadership.
The NDC Investment Awards high-level Adjudication panel included:
- Damilola Ogunbiyi, CEO and UN SRSG for Sustainable Energy for All, Co-Chair of UN-Energy.
- Ziad-Alexandre Hayek, President of the World Association of PPP Units (WAPPP).
- John Denton, Secretary General of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC).
- Kandeh Yumkella, Former UN Under-Secretary-General and Special Representative of the Secretary-General and CEO.
- Luisa Moreno, Managing Director of Tahuti Global
The Africa investor (Ai) NDC Investment Awards, are held in collaboration with the NDC Partnership and the African Green Infrastructure Investment Bank (AfGIIB).
Ai African NDC Investment Awards Winners 2022:
NDC Presidential Champion Award Winners
1. Presidential “Green Infrastructure Champion” of the Year,
His Excellency, Abdel Fattah El-Sisi, President of The Republic of Egypt
2. Presidential Just Transition Champion” of the Year
His Excellency, Mr. Paul Kagame, President of the Republic of Rwanda
3. Presidential “Carbon Exchange Champion” of the Year
His Excellency, Mr Ali Bongo Ondimba, President of the Republic of Gabon
4. Presidential “Transport” Champion of the Year (Joint initiative)
His Excellency, Mr Hakainde Hichilema, President of The Republic of Zambia
His Excellency, Felix Tshisekedi, President of The Democratic Republic of the Congo
5. Presidential “Water” Champion of the Year
His Excellency, Mr Macky Sall, President of The Republic of Senegal
6. Presidential “Agriculture” Champion of the Year,
His Excellency, Mr William Ruto, President of The Republic of Kenya
NDC Project Award Winners:
1. Best Urban Development NDC Investment Initiative of The Year,
SURE: Strengthening Urban Resilience in Eswatini through climate proofing Green, Grey and Blue Infrastructure,
The Government of the Kingdom of Eswatini
2. Best Agriculture NDC Investment Initiative of The Year
Low Carbon Transformation of the Rwandan Tea Processing Sector,
The Government Of The Republic Of Rwanda
3. Best Health NDC Investment Initiative of The Year
Sustainable Energy for Health Service – S4H2,
The Government Of Soa Tome Principe
4. Best Transport NDC Investment Initiative of The Year
Promotion of Electric Motorcycles in Uganda with focus on the Greater Kampala Metropolitan Area (GKMA),
The Government Of The Republic Of Uganda
5. Best Water NDC Investment Initiative of The Year (Joint initiative)
Lesotho-Botswana Water Transfer Project,
The Government Of The Kingdom Of Lesotho,
The Government Of The Republic Of Botswana
6. Best Waste NDC Investment Initiative of The Year
MOSSUP: Moroccan Supermarket tackling Single Use Plastics, Serious Business
The Government Of The Republic Of Morocco
7. Best Tourism NDC Investment Initiative of The Year
Sustainable Island Initiative Mauritius, Sustainable Island Initiative Mauritius,
The Government Of The Mauritius
8. Best Forestry NDC Investment Initiative of The Year
The Carbon Credit Initiative of Gabon,
The Government Of The Republic Of Gabon
9. Best Energy NDC Investment Initiative of The Year
Egypt’s $40bn Green Hydrogen Commitment,
The Government Of The Republic Of The Republic Of Egypt
10. Best Education NDC Investment Initiative of The Year
Cote d’Ivoire Private Sector Preparation Program for Green Investment,
The Government Of Cote D’ Ivoire
Note to Editors
For more information on the Ai African NDC Investment Awards, visit: www.ndcinvestmentawards.com, or email: email@example.com
About The NDC Investment Awards Headline sponsor
The African Green Infrastructure Investment Bank (AfGIIB) is an African Union-convened and supported African institutional investor-led, global climate investment platform, to catalyze private capital for Africa’s green transition. Visit www.afgiib.com for more information.
About Africa investor Group
Africa investor (Ai) Group is an institutional investment holding platform that aligns its pools of capital from sovereign wealth funds, pension funds, family offices, and long-term investors with vetted infrastructure, private equity, and technology investment opportunities in Africa. Visit www.africainvestor.com